DRILLING

Promising exploration results, disappointing water cut in Thailand: Carnarvon

CARNARVON Petroleum has choked back its NS3-D1ST sidetrack appraisal well in Thailand after water cuts from a flow test increased to 20%, while the L44H-D2 exploration well penetrated five deeper volcanic intervals that had never been tested.

Promising exploration results, disappointing water cut in Thailand: Carnarvon

The company said the NS3-D1ST flowed a stabilised rate of about 1650 barrels of oil per day with a water cut of 0.38% over a three-day period, before the water cuts increased to 20%.

"Currently the well is restricted to about 180 barrels per day of oil with a 20 percent water cut while determining if the water production originates from more than 3800 barrels of drilling water that was lost while drilling or coning up a large fracture system," the company said.

"A number of options will be considered to optimise production depending on the final analysis of results."

Meanwhile, the company's L44H-D2 exploration well has penetrated five deeper volcanic intervals at 1079m, 1154m, 1483m, 1698m and 1824m with measured thicknesses between 6-62m.

According to Carnarvon, the five deeper volcanic intervals have never been tested.

Oil shows were also observed at depths of 1080-1100m, 1505-1510m and 1845- 1850m.

Testing on the two structurally lowest volcanic zones have shown a minor influx of gas at 1698m and a tight reservoir at 1824m.

The company said perforating is underway for another test over the volcanic interval encountered at 1482m.

Carnarvon anticipates testing will continue for about 10 days.

Further south, the NS5-D1ST horizontal development well has reached a total depth of 1406m within the target volcanic reservoir zone.

Severe mud losses and oil shows were encountered over most of the 145m horizontal section through the main volcanic reservoir, Carnarvon said.

The company is testing the well and expects to have results in the next 10-12 days.

In other news, Carnarvon expects to complete the drilling of the L33-3 exploration well, on concession L33 about 33km north of the Wichian Buri oil field within 10-12 days.

L33-3 is targeting both volcanic and sandstone reservoirs and has a planned total depth of about 1200m.

The objective of the well is to evaluate the source rock and reservoir potential within the Khon Khwang sub basin.

According to Carnarvon, validation of the source rock presence would almost double the hydrocarbon potential within concession L33 and L44, and result in an extensive 2D seismic program over the area in July.

Carnarvon has a 40% stake in the Thailand projects while Pan Orient is the operator holding the remaining 60%.

TOPICS:

A growing series of reports, each focused on a key discussion point for the energy sector, brought to you by the Energy News Bulletin Intelligence team.

A growing series of reports, each focused on a key discussion point for the energy sector, brought to you by the Energy News Bulletin Intelligence team.

editions

ENB CCS Report 2024

ENB’s CCS Report 2024 finds that CCS could be the much-needed magic bullet for Australia’s decarbonisation drive

editions

ENB Cost Report 2023

ENB’s latest Cost Report findings provide optimism as investments in oil and gas, as well as new energy rise.

editions

ENB Future of Energy Report 2023

ENB’s inaugural Future of Energy Report details the industry outlook on the medium-to-long-term future for the sector in the Asia Pacific region.

editions

ENB Cost Report 2021

This industry-wide report aims to understand current cost levels across the energy industry