Chevron makes major Gorgon area gas discovery

CHEVRON Corporation says it has made a “significant” offshore northwestern Australia gas discovery.
Chevron makes major Gorgon area gas discovery Chevron makes major Gorgon area gas discovery Chevron makes major Gorgon area gas discovery Chevron makes major Gorgon area gas discovery Chevron makes major Gorgon area gas discovery

The Clio-1 exploration well in WA-205-P found 190 metres of new gas sands in the Mungaroo Formation, making it “one of the top wells in Australia in terms of total net gas pay,” the US giant said. The result follows Chevron’s Chandon-1 gas discovery in nearby WA-268-P in July this year.

“Our two significant gas discoveries in Chandon and Clio this year demonstrate the benefits of Chevron focusing our exploration program in key basins such as northwestern Australia,” Chevron International Exploration and Production president John Watson said.

In an attempt to extend the life of proposed liquefied natural gas production plants, Chevron boosted its Australian exploration budget to $A250 million for this year. The company, as operator, is still waiting on government approval for the planned $11 billion Gorgon LNG project.

Chevron plans to carry out further work, including a 3D seismic survey program starting in mid-December, to better define the gas find and development options, according to the company’s Australian unit’s managing director Jay Johnson.

Located about 150k off the coast in about 960m of water, Clio-1 was drilled by Transocean’s semi-submersible drilling rig Jack Bates to a total depth of about 4725m.

Chevron subsidiaries Chevron Australia and Texaco Australia operate permit WA-205- P with a 67% interest. Shell Development Australia holds the remaining 33%.

loader