Beach, the operator, is drilling Ballaparudda-1 as the first of two wells designed to test prospects in the ‘oil fairway’ between the Christies, Sellicks, Callawonga and Parsons oil discoveries in PEL 92 to the southwest and the Growler and Wirraway oil discoveries in PEL 104 to the northeast.
The partners expect to spud the second well, Murrippi-1, in PEL 91 in February with Century Rig 3.
Ballaparudda-1 is targeting the Namur Sandstone, Birkhead Formation and Hutton sandstone, with secondary targets in the Poolowanna and Kalladeina formations.
Seismic mapping indicates that the Ballaparudda structure has about 15 metres of structural relief and covers an area of 2.5 square kilometres.
Pre-drill P50 recoverable reserves are estimated to be 500,000 barrels of oil in the Birkhead/Hutton formations and 900,000 barrels in the Namur sandstone.
Possible ‘fill to spill’ potential is estimated between 2 million and 5 million barrels of recoverable oil.
Great Artesian said Ballaparudda-1 was on-trend with existing discoveries and would test the same Jurassic formations on an anticlinal structure on the western flank of the Patchawarra Trough in PEL 91.
The well is located about 25km north of Callawonga and 18km southwest of the Growler discoveries.
The Hunt rig is moving to PEL 91 following a successful campaign in the adjacent PEL 92, where Beach and Cooper Energy recently announced the Parsons-1 oil discovery.
Great Artesian is fully funding its 60% interest in Ballaparudda-1 – estimated at $840,000 – while Beach holds the remaining 40%.