Wesfarmers to supply industrial gas for pig iron plant

Rural, energy and hardware group Wesfarmers has reached an agreement with the HIsmelt Kwinana Joint Venture that will its see partly-owned industrial gas company, Air Liquide WA (ALWA), supply oxygen and nitrogen for HIsmelt's $400 million pig iron plant to be built in Kwinana, an industrial suburb south of Perth.

Wesfarmers has a 40% interest in ALWA and manages the business, with the remaining 60% owned by Air Liquide Australia Limited. ALWA will build a new air separation plant dedicated to the HIsmelt project.

"With the global technical support of our partner Air Liquide, we are confident we can fulfil our role in facilitating this most exciting project," said Wesfarmers Energy managing director, David Robb.

"The new plant, supplying gases to HIsmelt under a 15 year take-or-pay sales agreement, represents a major growth story for ALWA."

loader