NSW Trade & Investment drives sustainable economic growth in New South Wales. We do this by working with and supporting the vast range of businesses and industries across NSW to advance investment, innovation, activity and improvements across all industry sectors. The Office of Coal Seam Gas (OCSG) is a branch within NSW Trade & Investment and is responsible for the development, implementation and integrity of the regulatory framework for coal seam gas under the Petroleum (Onshore) Act 1991 and the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
The Inspector Safety exercises statutory & administrative responsibilities to improve the health and safety performance of
NSW petroleum exploration and production, geothermal and geosequestration drilling industries. This is achieved through site inspections, audits, investigation of incidents and complaints, consultation and risk management processes and by providing competent technical advice. The position also uses an inspector’s statutory powers to ensure compliance with and enforce occupational health and safety, explosives and mining and petroleum legislation.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assess planning proposals and well integrity programs, evaluate adequacy of controls and procedures, and provide advice on health and safety matters
- Promote best practice and keep abreast of health and safety issues arising from new technology through consultation with industry
- Investigate complaints, accidents and incidents to determine cause and circumstances and make recommendations for prevention
- Conduct both scheduled and unannounced coal seam gas/ drilling operation site inspections and utilise appropriate enforcement actions to ensure operations comply with health and safety and petroleum legislation
- Participate in health and safety campaigns, workshops, committees and industry forums and community meetings to promote the OCSG business plans and strategies
The successful candidate will hold a professional engineering qualification from an Australian University or equivalent qualification and a current IWCF well control certificate. At least 6 years recent experience in the coal seam gas industry, including at least 3 years relevant operational experience as a Drilling Engineer or Drilling and Completions Manager is also required. Experience in OH&S matters and risk management principles (including incident investigation), with a sound knowledge of OH&S legislation, well construction, well design, drilling and completion operations, and safe work methods is essential for the success in this position.
Applications must be lodged electronically by clicking “Apply Now”. To support your application, please include a current CV and a cover letter outlining your skills and experience in relation to the requirements of this position. You are not required to address the selection criteria.
Closing Date: Wednesday 19 June 2013
Enquiries: Glyn Macdonald - 02 4931 6656
Click here to view the position description.