A source onboard told Energy News today that the electrician was working on equipment that was not properly tagged and had a faulty guard. The guard had been reported faulty about two years ago, according to separate sources onboard the vessel.
Information obtained by Energy News shows the worker lost from the first knuckle up of his index finger.
Shell Australia confirned the incident this afternoon telling Energy News an employee was transferred onshore for medical treatment after "receiving an injury to their finger."
"Shell cares about the safety of employees and contractors. We take seriously our responsibility to protect our workers from harm and have commenced a full investigation into this incident," a spokesperson told Energy News.
"We are continuing to provide support to the person involved."
According to the source the worker lost roughly two-thirds of a finger while working on a turret HVAC system - a heating, ventilating and air conditioning system.
The HVAC system is integral to the FLNG turret by which the vessel is moored to the sea floor. The vessel then floats around the giant cylindrical turret turret.
The incident was reported to the National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority. NOPSEMA has subsequently launched an investigation into the incident.
A NOPSEMA spokesperson said he was unable to provide further details as the investigation was ongoing.
The source said that union officials were concerned over safety issues onboard the vessel both in this instance and more broadly.
Energy News understands the employee is recovering well.